Pages

Meanwhile...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The unfinished temple: La Sagrada Familia

A few years ago I went to Barcelona for a meeting. Of course our hosts took us to La Sagrada Família church, Spanish Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí's masterpiece & one of the popular tourist attractions of Barcelona.


It was a great day! So was Templa Expiatori de la Sagrada Família (Expiatory Temple of the Holy Family). I couldn't help myself & took pictures from every angle. Sorry, did I say angle? Actually La Sagrada Família, like Gaudí's other works, has no angle at all. Because, it was built in Gaudí's unique natural composition. Ooops! Wrong again. It wasn't built. Because, La Sagrada Família's construction is not completed even after 127 years. And it is not expected to be complete until at least 2026,the 100th anniversary of Gaudí's death!


Antoni Gaudí devoted the last 15 years of his life entirely to La Sagrada Família. He designed it to have 18 towers, 12 for the 12 apostles, 4 for the 4 evangelists, one for Mary and one for Jesus. On the subject of the extremely long construction period, Gaudí is said to have remarked, "My client is not in a hurry." He was buried in the midst of La Sagrada Familia.


Click here to browse my La Sagrada Familia photo set in Flickr. 



Have you been to Barcelona & visited the La Sagrada Família? I'd love to hear your comments. If not, you should go & see some day.


Speaking of La Sagrada Família, I should mention another masterpiece. Yes, you guessed it right: the song by the British band Alan Parsons Project, from their 1987 album Gaudí, referring the architect. Here's a live version for you. Especially Chinese classical guitarist Xuefei Yang's solo is fantastic! Enjoy!


"Until next time. Until next time"


1 comment:

  1. This is a very informative article about the Sagrada. Eventhough I had been there to visit this church a few times and noticed some construction I did bit know that Gaudi had never finished it. Next time I have the opportunity to visit Barcelina again I will keep in mind this story. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Sinan says

Calibrate Your Monitor

Calibrate Your Monitor
You should be able to see each step in this greyscale separated, and the background should be neutral grey.